Awards Categories for 2013
The 2013 Computerworld Honors Program recognizes those organizations that create and use information technology to advance society and change the
world for the better. Nominations are no longer being accepted for the 2013 Computerworld Honors program. The categories are the following:
- Recognizes organizations for the innovative use of IT to promote knowledge-sharing and enable collaboration that results in measurable economic, social, environmental or innovation gains.
- Recognizes organizations for the innovative use or development of IT to create, enable, improve or expand business and job opportunities.
- Recognizes organizations for the bold and innovative creation or use of leading-edge and largely unproven technology, demonstrating its suitability for solving a business or societal need.
- Recognizes organizations for the innovative use or creation of IT to conduct research; develop new diagnostic or treatment methods and services; improve the safety and quality of patient care; or improve access to, or the affordability of, healthcare.
- Recognizes organizations for the innovative use of IT to effectively develop or deliver public programs that provide food and nutrition, housing, transportation, mental health or other social services to populations in need.
- Recognizes organizations for the design and development of technologies or products that represent advancement in the fields of information technology, artificial intelligence and the sciences, and offer benefits to business or society.
- Recognizes organizations for the innovative application of IT to extend the distribution of digital information, programs and services through mobile devices, thus reaching the many populations around the world where mobile devices are more common than desktop computers.
- Recognizes organizations that have made significant contributions of one or more goods or services (listed below) to a needy cause, such as schools, libraries, community centers, deserving non-profit organizations and so on:
- Web-based services
- The talents of their IT personnel or other technical employees
Safety & Security
- Recognizes organizations for the development or application of IT to measurably improve the safety and security of the populations they serve.
- Recognizes organizations that have implemented major IT sustainability initiatives over the past five years by reducing energy consumption in IT equipment and/or using technology to conserve energy and lower carbon emissions. Organizations will be asked to quantify their energy savings. Vendors may also submit breakthrough products, services or technologies that strongly support the IT sustainability mission.
- Recognizes organizations for the design and development of technologies that have played a major role in supporting social good in the face of world-changing events (a recent example would be the role of communications technologies during the Arab Spring uprisings).